Saturday, June 20, 2015

Whale Rider


This is a deceptive little book. It's brief length makes it seem as if it will be a very quick read. In fact, it's possible to read it in very little time. To my way of thinking, that isn't exactly advisable. While the central plot is very straightforward, that of a girl proving her worth to a great-grandfather who values only males, it is much more than that. It's a story of cultural traditions, traditions that are being lost in the name of "progress." The very narration is steeped in those traditions. It isn't a narrative style common to American novels so it was a fascinating change of pace from my previous selections. I look forward to making time in my schedule to watch the film version so I can see how the film makers represent both the culture and the tone of the novel on screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment