Wednesday, July 30, 2014

WWW Wednesdays

What are you currently reading?
Kinda Like Brothers by Coe Booth
Jarrett is used to his life being disrupted by the foster babies his mom takes in. This time is different, though. This time his mom has taken in a baby and her older brother. Kevon is older than Jarrett and is sharing his room. People expect them to be friends. Jarrett doesn't think they can even get along. Everything about Kevon rubs him the wrong way.
A little way into this, and I'm entranced by the writing style. It's so conversational. Jarrett is a very distinct voice. If the book continues as it has begun it is likely to be my favorite this week.

What did you recently finish reading?
The Return of Zita the Spacegirl by Ben Hatke
When Zita set out to rescue her friend Mouse (at the end of The Legend of Zita the Spacegirl) she was immediately captured by the Doom Squad. This volume finds her imprisoned on Dungeon World, an inescapable fortress, and set to work mining the planet's core. True to nature, this seemingly hopeless situations isn't enough to stop Zita or her friends.
With the first volume, I was an instant Zita fan and this book just reinforces my fan-hood. I will say that this story is perhaps a little more serious than the first two, a little more exploratory into inner natures and the like. Still, a fantastic adventure with plenty of action and lots to explore in each panel. A must read for all young graphic novel fans.

What do you think you will read next?
Greenglass House by Kate Milford
The story of a twelve year old boy living in a suddenly quite busy smuggler's inn, discovering clues and unraveling a mystery. I can't help but imagine the beginning of Treasure Island and the Admiral Benbow Inn when I read the description of this book.

or 

I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga
Jazz gets involved in the investigation of a murder after suspicion falls on him, a result of his serial killer father. I just got the ARC of Blood of My Blood, so I'll be reading this one and the sequel Game in the very near future in preparation.

No comments:

Post a Comment