Wednesday, July 16, 2014

WWW Wednesdays

What are you currently reading?
The Girl from the Well by Rin Chupeco
Okiku has been a ghost, a vengeful spirit, for so long that she barely remembers what she once was. She exists only to get vengeance for other victims and prevent them from becoming like her. It is simple. Simple until she meets Tark, the tattooed boy with an evil presence clinging to him.
Only a few chapters in and what strikes me already is that the language is simply beautiful. Even when the description is of a half rotten ghost/corpse it is so vivid, so visceral, that I was more enthralled than creeped out. If the rest of the book is anything like the first few chapters it might well be my favorite of the week.
 
What did you recently finish reading?
Jim Henson's Enchanted Sisters: Autumn's Secret Gift by Elise Allen
Autumn, Winter, Spring, and Summer are each responsible for a section of Mother Nature's realm. They come together for a special ceremony each quarter to change the seasons. In between they explore their magical gifts and avoid the troublesome Weed boys. When Mother Nature asks Autumn to take care of a secret gift she is honored. Until she and the others lose the gift. They must track it down before the Weed boys.
This is very different from what I normally read but I recently resolved to read more outside of my genre comfort zones so I gave this one a try. This is not to say I enjoyed it. I'm not big on fairies. I will say that this one had some decent messages about honesty and valuing each person's strengths.
 
What do you think you will read next?
Kate the Great, Except When She's Not by Suzy Becker
An illustrated novel about a girl navigating fifth grade, friends, and family.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment