Thursday, July 31, 2014

Pick 6: Classical influences

Those who know me know that I'm a sucker for retellings of any sort. I was the kid who read and reread The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales ad nauseam. "Fractured Fairy Tales" has always been one of my favorite parts of "Rocky and Bullwinkle." And The Lunar Chronicles is one of my favorite ongoing series. So I was pretty stoked when I realized I had enough books in my list of classically influenced novels to share here. So, here are six books published in the last six months that are either direct retellings or in some way directly influenced by classical literature.

6 New Classically Influenced novels
1. The Other Way Around by Sashi Kaufman   (inspired by Into the Wild)

2. Hope is a Ferris Wheel by Robin Herrera   (inspired by and frequently references the poetry of Emily Dickenson)

3. Second Star by Alyssa Sheinmel   (a dark retelling of Peter Pan)

4. I Kill the Mockingbird by Paul Acampa   (a call to read all classic lit and directly references To Kill a Mockingbird)

5. Conversion by Katherine Howe   (references The Crucible)

6. Fleabrain Loves Franny by Joanne Rocklin   (inspired by Charlotte's Web)

No comments:

Post a Comment