Monday, February 16, 2015

The Great Owl Repaint Project

I have a well-known fondness for owls, particularly those that most would call kitschy. A couple of years ago I was given a box of such owls. They are a variety of styles and colors. A few of them are in kind of rough shape, which is what first made me think about painting them. It didn't take long for that idea to take hold. So, today I bring you the first installment in what I've come to think of as The Great Owl Repaint Project.

The Before:

I love the look of this owl, but as you can see the corners are pretty chipped.



The After:
I modeled the coloring of this owl after the Northern Saw Whet Owl
An afternoon with my nephews resulted in all nine owls being named and declared part of a family. I believe was one of the daughters. Her name is Clara.

1 comment:

  1. How fun! I started a collection about five years ago because they annoyed my principal. Many are 1970s and ... Interesting, but I'm not talented enough to paint them! Symbol of wisdom, so have fun with them!

    ReplyDelete