Thursday, February 26, 2015

Books on screen

A Wrinkle in Time

I've read A Wrinkle in Time several times now and I always take something different away from it. It's a very "thinking" novel, a complex exploration of good, evil, god, science, and possibility. As such, I was curious to see how it would work as a movie, particularly a made-for-tv-movie like this one was. The first thing that threw me was casting. Calvin is a brunette (instead of redhead). Meg has no glasses, Charles is too old, and Sandy and Dennys are too young. While these are relatively minor complaints, they do set the film off on shaky footing. The second, obvious, problem is the special effects. Being low budget, the effects are quite cheap and cheesy. My real problem with this movie, though, is the message. The book explores theoretical science and has heavy religious undertones. To make the movie more palatable these elements have been toned down or removed all together. This turns a mind-blowing book into a mediocre, forgettable movie. While it's not the worst thing I've ever seen, I don't recommend it. If your kids find the original novel too confusing, I recommend the graphic novel adapted by Hope Larson instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment