Wednesday, August 13, 2014

WWW Wednesdays

What are you currently reading?
The Zero Degree Zombie Zone by Patrik Henry Bass
Bakari Katari Johnson has problems at school. He's shy and has a hard time making things happen. So when his best friend Wardell signs him up to run for Hall Monitor against the most popular boy in the fourth grade, Bakari doesn't think things could get much worse. Then ice zombies show up at his school. They've lost a magical ring. Bakari has until the end of the day to return it to them. Or else.
At 3/4 finished I've got to say this has not been my favorite book. It just hasn't really captured my attention very well. I'm reserving full judgement until I reach the end (who knows -that ending might just be amazing) but I'm thinking this isn't likely to make my list of favorites.
 
What did you recently finish reading?
Leroy Ninker Saddles Up by Kate DiCamillo
Leroy wants nothing more than to be a real cowboy. He has the hat. He has the boots. He has practiced his cowboy dialogue. All he needs is a horse. When he goes to look at a horse he found in a newspaper ad, Leroy knows almost instantly that Maybelline is the horse for him. Maybelline loves compliments and spaghetti. When Leroy forgets the most important rule, that Maybelline hates to be alone, he begins a desperate search to get the horse of his heart back.
I've not read the Mercy Watson books but after reading and enjoying this little book I think I ought to give them a try. Easy to understand with a great sense of humor, this book will be great for kids just starting to read chapter books (as well as working as a read aloud for younger siblings).
 
What do you think you will read next?
One Death, Nine Stories edited by Marc Aronson and Charles R. Smith Jr.
Short story collections are always fun and this one has some big names attached. I'm particularly intrigued by the link between the stories, they way one person's death will affect different people's lives.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment