Thursday, November 6, 2014

Books on screen

How to Train Your Dragon


This is one of those books where I actually saw the movie first. And I loved it. I love this movie. Recently I got my hands on a copy of the book. It was a lot of fun too. At first glance, though, they have nothing in common apart from a handful of names. The book is funny; the movie is far more serious. The dragons in the book talk; in the movie they don't. The vikings in the book must train a dragon when they are young; in the movie they kill them. Basically the entire plot is different. These differences can seem overwhelming but at heart the two stories actually achieve the same thing. We have this young hero who has a different way of seeing things, a different approach to life, that while challenged by hsi peers eventually proves useful. Both are excellent and well worth your time.


No comments:

Post a Comment