Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Penguin Storytime

I do a weekly storytime for 4 and 5 year-olds. Usually we follow a pretty set structure.
    1. Four songs - a rhythm instrument song, a "follow the directions" song, an active song, and "Stand up, Sit down" (This last one is a perennial favorite and also serves as a transition to reading time as we always sing it last)
     2. Read Two books. Occasionally we do a felt board or puppet interaction between the books but this is very dependent on the mood of the kids.
    3. Craft.
    4. Goodbye

During Christmas break I decided to try something a little different. I knew I'd get older siblings at storytime (we don't have any kind of registration or restrictions). Plus, I'd just been given a penguin education kit and was anxious to try some of it out. So, for one week only, this was our schedule.

    1. Music - Let everyone clap hands like me; Shake my sillies out; Stand up, Sit down. We cut the rhythm instruments for time.
    2. Books - Tacky the Penguin by Helen Lester (This is my all time favorite picture book. I apparently have several passages memorized - the moms noticed.
        One Cool Friend by Toni Buzzeo
    3. Activity 1 - Penguin eggs. We tried to walk with large plastic eggs on our feet. One of my little guys has feet so small that we could not get the egg to even sit on them! Luckily, a little hunting and our mild pack-rat tendencies turned up some mini eggs.

They still couldn't walk but the eggs stayed on their feet.
    4. Activity 2 - Which penguin are you?  My penguin kit had a life sized poster of an emperor penguin. The kids stood in front of the poster and measured up.

Four feet is awfully tall for a bird
    5. Craft - This penguin:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment