Friday, February 21, 2014

Book Review: A Snicker of Magic

This is the review form I intend to use on this blog. The most noticeable difference you'll see is the rating style. I'm often frustrated by 5 star or 1 to 10 rating systems. I feel like whatever number I choose doesn't accurately portray what I feel. Accordingly, I'll be using a picture system. The idea is that I (or any guest review I may have) will draw a face that expresses our feelings toward the book. If you'd like to see any other information in my reviews, just let me know. Now, without further ado, my first book review.


Title: A Snicker of Magic
Author: Natalie Lloyd
Genre: Mild Fantasy - one might use the term "magical realism"
Similar books: Savvy by Ingrid Law
                     The Candymakers by Wendy Mass
Rating:
starry-eyed
Summary: Felicity Pickle has just moved to Midnight Gulch, a town that used to be magic. She thinks it will be just another stop in a long string of short term stays with her wandering mother. As she begins to learn more about Midnight Gulch's magical history and makes freinds for the first time, she wonders if this plac ecould be home.

My opinion: What a beautiful, wonderful book. Lloyd paints with words while keeping the vocabulary accessible. This is a book you can practically live in. Everyone should read this amazing book.
More information: A Snicker of Magic releases February 25, 2014.

Advance Reader Copy provided by Netgalley

No comments:

Post a Comment