Friday, May 10, 2024

Non-fiction book review - Lies My Teacher Told Me

 

Lies My Teacher Told Me by James W. Loewen; adapted by Nate Powell

The simple existence of the original book shook up our understanding of history education and became considered essential reading. It's a bit to my chagrin that I've never managed to read the book. But when I learned that Powell was adapting the text into the graphic novel format I knew my chance had come. Now to be clear, this is still an incredibly text heavy book. In fact, if it were not an adaptation that would be a significant criticism. Instead I understand that Powell is doing his best to illustrate and include as much of the original language as possible since it was all carefully selected in the first place to convey essential information. This is not a graphic novel that you're going to fly through but rather read carefully. The illustrations highlight the text, assisting in understanding. 

Advanced Reader Copy provided by NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment