Thursday, June 15, 2023

Listen with me

 

The Chaperone by M Hendrix

Going into this book I saw it as having potential to revitalize the tired teen dystopian fiction market. That was, perhaps, too much pressure to put on a single book. It didn't blow me away. Honestly, I think it over-simplifies it's conflict. A truly compelling dystopian novel relies on one of two ideas: either it's impossible to escape or the alternative is too dangerous. That's where this book fails. New America is too obviously "bad" as it strips girls of all agency. When Stella learns about the truth about Old America, it is too obviously "good". She sees only the benefits. There is no true dilemma and not enough explanation as to how New America happened or why people stayed. While the concept is strong there isn't enough nuance to the plot. I applaud Hendrix for recognizing how our current political climate could go horribly awry but I don't fully love this book.

Advanced Reader Copy provided by NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment