Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Non-fiction book review - God Made the Dinosaurs

 

God Made the Dinosaurs by Michael and Caroline Carroll

Like most kids I went through a pretty significant phase of fascination with dinosaurs. I learned all about fossil records and carbon dating, different eras of dinosaurs and the links between species. It was all presented in a clear, scientific way that I easily accepted as fact. This lead to a lot of confusion later, then, when some well meaning person presented me with alternate ideas. With books that told me that carbon dating was based on guesses, that dinosaurs were lizards that had been allowed to live longer lives and thus kept growing to huge sizes. In short, religious books that told me science was wrong.  It was hard for me to reconcile and lead me to question whether science and religion could ever be compatible. Enter this book. I wish it was one that had existed in my youth. Because the authors lead with science. We are presented with loads of facts about the prehistoric world and the animals that lived in it. Information is cited. We aren't just told about claws and skeletons. We are told how fossils and scientific examination proves these ideas. God is acknowledged as the maker, the driving force behind these wonders. While it is science forward, there is a fair amount of "god talk" so if religion isn't your bag this isn't the book for you. But if you are looking for a way to bridge the gap between faith and science this is a solid way to do that.

More information: God Made the Dinosaurs releases April 4.

Advanced Reader Copy provided by NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment