Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Non-fiction book review - Epic Cardboard Adventures

Epic Cardboard Adventures by Leslie Manlapig

I have mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, I fully applaud encouraging kids to explore their creativity with simple materials. Most of these projects can be made with cardboard, glue, tape, and paint. And they're more than just art projects. These are toys, props for make believe. Fantastic. On the other hand, we are given very specific, step by step directions. While I understand their necessity, there's no opportunity for personalization, nor even any encouragement to invent. I know that as a child I wouldn't have needed the book to suggest ways I could change a project but I've worked with enough kids to know that many do. They need someone to suggest that the reader needn't follow the directions exactly.
Advanced Reader Copy provided by NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment