Monday, March 18, 2024

King of the skirts

I try to be thrifty, to avoid spending money unless necessary, and to reduce waste. This often means reusing things, including worn-out clothes. Take, for example, this shirt.
 

 
 While somewhat worn on the edges, there's still a lot of life left in this fabric. And since it was my dad's shirt and too big for me to wear as a top, I decided to turn it into a skirt. First step was to cut off the sleeves and collar.

Then I cut the top straight across to make the waistline. Since I believe all clothes should I have pockets, I wanted to add some here and the armholes are well situated for that. I used sleeves from an old t-shirt, the ends sewn shut, for pockets.

Once I had the pockets sewn in and the waistband hemmed it could have been finished but it was a little dull. So I decided to embroider a Godzilla type monster on it. Because why not.
The green tabs are belt loops to help with fit.





No comments:

Post a Comment