Monday, January 17, 2022

Drop spindle

 I decided this winter that I wanted to learn how to spin my own yarn. Since I'm just learning and may not stick with it, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on tools. I made my own drop spindle out of an orphaned knitting needle and some cardboard. I bent the tip of the needle with some pliers. It formed a decent hook shape but left the needle surface kind of rough so I wrapped it in thread and coated it with hot glue. My spindle needed a little more weight so I also added lines of glue around the cardboard as well.



2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed. I can barely work up the enthusiasm for knitting, much less spinning my own yarn. What a feeling of accomplishment when you get yarn that can actually be used! I think your tools are very innovative. You would survive well on the prairie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that. I've been rather fixated on the idea of homesteading recently and I'm hoping to get some fiber animals soon.

      Delete