Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Non-fiction book review - Throw Like a Girl, Cheer Like a Boy

Throw Like a Girl, Cheer Like a Boy by Robyn Ryle

I make no secret of my general disinterest in sports. What does interest me, I'm realizing, is sociology. That means that I found this book fascinating. It looks at what sports can tell us about roles in society: gender, race, class, and identity. We look at how those roles and how the public's view of various sports have changed over time. As minorities began to achieve, to threaten the superiority of the majority, efforts to hold them back become common place. It's a lot of information, a lot of individual examples, and can be a little dense but I found it compelling enough to drive me to keep reading. Additionally, it's well documented and reliably sourced. There's a clear agenda and bias in the presentation but it's so well researched that it's hard to argue with.
Advanced Reader Copy provided by NetGalley.

1 comment:

  1. I don't watch sports, but I do love reading about them because my students love it. I requested this on Netgalley. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete