Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Book Review - How (Not) to Fall in Love

Title: How (Not) to Fall in Love
Author: Lisa Brown Roberts
Genre: realistic fiction
Similar books: I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan
                     The Infinite Moment of Us by Lauren Myracle
Rating:
Better than I expected

Summary: Darcy has always lived a charmed life. Her father is a successful motivational speaker. Until he isn't. When his business falls apart, Darcy's father hits the road leaving his family to deal with the aftermath. Darcy needs some place to escape from the constant stress of her changed status among her friends and her mother's new drinking habit. Her uncle's thrift store may just be that place.

My Opinion: I am chagrined. I really thought that this was going to be your standard "rich kid turns poor and learns how to truly live" type story. I should not have judged it prematurely. Don't get me wrong. That element is certainly present. There is just a lot more going on too. There are issues of self-reliance, forgiveness, mental illness, and much more. There is so much more to this book than just falling in love with a "good guy." I could imagine giving this book even to teens who aren't fans of love stories.

More Information: How (Not) to Fall in Love releases February 3rd.
Advanced Reader Copy provided by NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment