Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Listen with me

 

The Changing Man by Tomi Oyemakinde

This book starts with a solid premise - a girl out of her element at an elite prep school where something strange is happening. This is a set up we see surprisingly often in teen fiction but Oyemakinde uses it well. It's not just that Ife is one of only a few Black girls at the school. She's part of the "Urban Achievers" program, a system that allows the school to appear inclusive and generous while remaining overall classist and at times racist. The characters are decent if a little one-note. The setting is strong. The plot itself, though, wavers. The early chapters have strong spooky vibes and are reminiscent of "Get Out". Once the characters begin to uncover what is actually happening at the school, though, it begins to lose me. I won't get into the details here because I'm strictly anti-spoilers but the reveal barrels right past the boundaries of my willing suspension of disbelief. It's a plot that may work for some but which I ultimately found disappointing.

Advanced Reader Copy provided by NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment