Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Non-fiction book review - 3D Printing

3D Printing by Melissa Koch

With 3D printing becoming more cost-effective and thus more prevalent, it was only a matter of time before we got a book like this one. I was thrilled to learn more about this technology. 3 things that I, an adult reader, learned from this book: 1) There are three distinct methods of 3d printing. I was particularly impressed by the "shooting lasers into a vat of powder" method. 2) Its been around for decades. Where it's only been a part of the public awareness in the new millennium, I was shocked to learn it was invented in the 80s. 3) It has surgical applications. I knew about printing prosthetics and skin, as well as the hopes for printing organs. I didn't know that they printed models to prepare for complicated surgeries. Koch explores these and a variety of other practical and legal issues involved in the 3d printing process. A great introduction for middle graders interested in the technology.

Advanced Reader Copy provided by NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment