Thursday, December 18, 2014

Picture books for everyone






Santa Mouse and the Ratdeer by Thacher Hurd

I knew I wanted to highlight a Christmas book today and I spent ages considering my favorites from my childhood. How Spider Saved Christmas. The Berenstain Bears' Christmas Tree. Santa Mouse. Santa's Toy Shop. Little Critter's Merry Christmas Mom and Dad. Morris's Disappearing Bag. All were much beloved and entertaining. But I finally settled on Santa Mouse and the Ratdeer. In this book, Santa Mouse is having a rough start to Christmas Eve. He can hardly even get his boots on. Christmas is likely to be a disaster when he crashes his sleigh in the North Woods. A little kindness from an eager little girl is all it takes to set things right. what really sells this one for me is the ratdeer. I find it highly entertaining to recite their names; Blunder, Basher, Lousy, Loopy, Bugsy, and (my personal favorite) Twizzlebum. This is a slightly off-beat Christmas story which can be a nice change of pace from the classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment