Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Book review - A Song for Ella Grey

Title: A Song for Ella Grey
Author: David Almond
Genre: fantasy
Similar books: All Our Pretty Songs by Sarah McCarry
                     Pay the Piper by Jane Yolen and Adam Stemple
Rating:
Not really my cup of tea

Summary: Claire and Ella have been best friends since they met as small children. They shared everything. Things are beginning to change. Their final year of school has begun and they expect to be headed in different directions before too long. Then they meet Orpheus, a wandering musician who enchants both girls (as well as most of their friends) with his good looks and haunting music. Ella, in particular, is entranced by Orpheus and he returns her feelings. Claire tries to be happy for her friend, not knowing that worse things than losing Ella to love are coming.
My Opinion: I'd love to say that I loved this book. I really enjoy retellings, especially of less common tales. This is based on Orpheus and Eurydice, a tale that I've only heard once or twice. I've got to say, though, that I'm not a huge fan of Almond's writing style. I read pretty much all of his books because I love his ideas but I find his style hard to connect with. His narrators always seem somewhat distant emotionally. In this case, the odd mystical style of the narration actually works in the book' favor. It lends an extra "fairy tale" air to the plot. So, I really wanted to love this book and I'm sure many people will. It is magical, mystical, musical, and grief stricken. It's just not something I'll be likely to read again.
Advanced Reader Copy provided by NetGalley




No comments:

Post a Comment